This course provides approved training for the use of extra-oral irradiating apparatus and will provide candidates with the knowledge required to own and use extra-oral irradiating apparatus appropriately and safely in the State of Queensland.
In Queensland there is a legal requirement for dentists, oral health therapists and dental assistants with certificate IV (radiography) to have a use license for taking extra-oral radiographs and cone beam examinations. To obtain a license from Radiation Health, candidates must complete a course of study to prove they are competent in the use of extra-oral irradiating apparatus.
This course will cover the:
- production of x-rays, the biological effects of x-rays and radiation hygiene
- theory and use of extra-oral irradiating apparatus
- limitations and advantages of extra-oral radiography
- applications of extra-oral radiography
- regulations relating to the Radiation safety Act of Queensland
- Understanding of the biological effects of ionizing radiation.
- Theory and practice of radiation hygiene
- An understanding of the theory of extra-oral radiography
- An understanding of the limitations and appropriate applications of extra-oral radiography
- An understanding of the legal requirements for owning and using extra-oral irradiating apparatus in Queensland
EXTRA-ORAL EXAM TOPICS
- Production of X-rays, biological effects of ionizing radiation and radiation protection
- Theory of Panoramic and cephalometric radiography
- Extra-oral technique and positioning errors
- Radiation Safety Act (Qld) and the regulations relating to the use of irradiating apparatus in Qld
- Extra-oral radiography examination (for those wanting an extra-oral license)
Emeritus Professor Paul Monsour
BDSc, PhD, MDSc (DMFR), MRACDS. (DMFR), FICD
Professor Paul Monsour graduated from the University of Queensland in 1978 with a BDSc (hons). He completed a PhD in Oral Biology in 1987 and a Masters degree in Oral Radiology & Pathology in 1991. Professor Monsour was the first registered specialist in Oral & Maxillofacial radiology working in full time private medical radiology practice in Australia. Professor Monsour lectures extensively throughout Australia on all aspects of DMF radiology. Appointed the Foundation Professor of DMFR at the University of Queensland in 2009. Paul is an associate member of the RANZCR and a Fellow of the International College of Dentists.
REGISTRATION OPTIONS & PRICING
Lecture with Extra Oral exam only
For those who require an extra-oral (OPG) license only
ADA Member - $660
1st and 2nd Year Graduate ADA Member - $550
Non-Member - $770
For those who have completed the course previously and are required to resit the exams only.
There is no cost for exam resits only. Please email [email protected] to register for a resit.
If in doubt, please refer to your user licence issued by Radiation Health as it will list current licenses.
3 Scientific hours for lecture and extra-oral exam
Q: How long do I have to complete this course?
A: We recommend completing the course within 3 months as our content is continuously being updated, however the course can be completed at your own pace and it is available to access 24/7.